Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Something Good

Past midnight, and my night owl son is sitting on my lap and gazing up at me with wide-awake eyes. On the music system is Parameshwar Hegde singing barani na jaye. I wait wearily for the inevitable request to change the music to 'wheels on the bus' or something like that.
But, my little boy listens for a moment and pronounces 'chanda'. I am surprised, delighted and smile at him with pride. In response, he gives me that look of pure and unclouded affection that only a child's eyes can hold. It's been a long tough day, I am a sentimental idiot, and I’m undone by that look. I cry, just a little bit, but my baby is terribly concerned. He wipes my face with his treasured Mickey Mouse towel, looking very worried indeed. Then, he holds my hand, leads me to the balcony, points at the full moon, and says “See?”, looking at my face to see whether this has cheered me up a little . I watch the yellow moon float above the sleeping city, my child’s tiny hand in mine, and I reflect that to deserve a moment like this, I must have done something very, very good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.