Monday, July 27, 2009

One more cliched mama moment.

My 4 something little tot has been especially recalcitrant this morning before school. He hides under his little blanket, claims to be tired, to have a fever, to have a tummy ache. Stay calm, I tell myself, stay calm. But the little monster refuses to move, and I get him to bathe and dress and eat only after I give him two smart smacks on his little bottom.
“You’re a very naughty little boy, Pramath.” I tell him as we drive to school.
“See, now you’re late for school, and Amma is late for class.”
He sits there looking forlorn, bites his lip, sniffs. I hate myself.
“Baby, I’m sorry, ok? I’m sorry I hit you. Give me a smile.”
“No.”
“Please, muddu.”
“No.”
“If it doesn’t rain today, we’ll go the beach.”
“Promise?”
“Promise.”
It begins to drizzle as we reach school, and I watch my little one plod off, dwarfed by his huge red umbrella, tiny against the big grey sky. He forgets his lunch bag, and I catch up with him, give him the bag. He grins at me, eyes shining with innocence and affection, the morning quarrel forgotten, and tells his pal proudly -
“See? This is my mama.”
Dear God, I don’t deserve this kind of love from him, I don’t, but …thank you.

10 comments:

AN said...

ahhh...bet you spent the rest of the day smiling!

AN said...

ahhh...bet you spent the rest of the day smiling!
anju.

Veena said...

awwwww..... *sniffle sniffle* That's Amogh and me...

Anonymous said...

i found this poem on a blog site .. thought u might like it.


Love-One

Some love happens after years of friendship
Some love is timeless
Some happens at first sight
And some is just wireless
Some love happens with no strings attached
And some comes with fine print
Some love never happens at all
Because someone just can't take a hint
Some love is about giving
Some love takes a lot
Some love lasts for a night or two
And some for more than that
Some love sees golden anniversaries
Some is just edged with gilt
Some love is an excuse
For the way we've all been built
Some love asks no questions
Some has no answers to give
Some love is hidden and difficult to spot
Some is an excuse to grieve
Some love you'd rather not remember
Some is impossible to forget
Some love jumps from a rooftop
And lands at the foot of the bed
Some love defeats time zones
Some forgets boundaries
Some love rushes out bright red
From the depths of cut arteries
Some love starts with a shy look
Some, with a bold stare
All love is precious while it lasts
All love it missed when it isn't there

Unknown said...

This is such a lovely poem, I wish I knew who posted it, who wrote it.
Smitha

Unknown said...

This is such a lovely poem, I wish I knew who posted it, who wrote it.
Smitha

Anonymous said...

keep guessing ... its someone you know. someone who knows you enjoy prose and poetry.

btw the poem was written by a copywiter named veda who works for O&M in Bombay

Anonymous said...

THE PARADOX OF OUR AGE

by The Dalai Lama

We have bigger houses but smaller families;
more conveniences, but less time;
We have more degrees, but less sense;
more knowledge, but less judgement;
more experts, but more problems;
more medicines, but less healthiness;
We've been all the way to the moon and back,
but have trouble crossing the street to meet
the new neighbor.
We build more computers to hold more
information to produce more copies then ever,
but have less communication;
We have become long on quantity,
but short on quality.
These are times of fast foods
but slow digestion;
Tall men but short character;
Steep profits but shallow relationships.
It's a time when there is much in the window,
but nothing in the room.

s said...

happened to just come across ur space..its so well written...touches a cord somewhere..

shweta said...

Smitha,
please continue blogging.
It is a very good blog .
-shweta